Re: [OM] Auto Exposure Times & The Ideal Meteor Catcher

Subject: Re: [OM] Auto Exposure Times & The Ideal Meteor Catcher
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 00:00:31 -0500
On Mon, 22 Mar 99 16:56:53 -0800, kelton <kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> jammed
all night, and by sunrise was overheard remarking:

> I recall the OM-2 being renowned for its ability to keep a shutter open
> on automatic for a very, very long time -- making it one of the best
> cameras in the world for taking automatically exposed nighttime shots. I
> recall some pretty fantastic claims for the OM-2's "timeout" duration,
> but I also recall it varied considerably among the different 2 models.
> Which OM2 model had the longest automatic timeout?

It's really based on measured EV rating, I think, rather than time. So
you'll get longer exposures with slower film, at least within some
limits, and of course, this doesn't take into account reciprocity
failure. Here's the specs I have:

        OM-2     60sec @ ASA100 (approx -5 EV)
        OM-2n   120sec @ ASA100 (approx -6 EV)
        OM-2sp  120sec @ ASA100 (approx -6 EV)
        OM-4    240sec @ ASA100 (approx -7 EV)
        OM-4Ti  240sec @ ASA100 (approx -7 EV)

None of the amature series OMs need apply (they're around around 0EV,
maybe 2sec at ASA100).

> Are there other non-OM cameras that excel at long-duration
> auto-exposure?

Sure, but they'll give your telescope the shimmy-shimmy shakes.

> I ask because, as an amateur astrophotographer, long
> exposures fascinate me, even when they're of terrestrial scenery.

I once did a solarization photo (real solarization, not the Sabattier
Effect) -- all day long exposure on B&W film. Fogged the neighboring two
negatives, but it actually worked :-)

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One