Re: [OM] "Cheap" 25mm Automatic Extension Tube

Subject: Re: [OM] "Cheap" 25mm Automatic Extension Tube
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:23:59 -0600
>We had a thread about this some time ago.
>I still don't know what happened to Vert.  ;-)

Sad thing is that Vert doesn't know either.  : (

I don't want to spoil the story line (as poor as it is), but I will say
that Vert is serving time as an automatic extension tube.

One thing I have noticed is that you MUST use the lens stopped down a bit
and not wide open.  The opening inside the teleconverters are not wide
enough to prevent diffraction.  Along that line, I have found that the
gutted TC works better with lenses that have smaller rear elements and
lenses where the rear element isn't deeply recessed.  Keep the lens
focussed as close to infinity as possible unless you are using an IF lens.

With the 100/2.8 I experiemented with 25mm of regular extension tubes
between the lens and the gutted TC and the defraction was visable in the
viewfinder!  I definitely would not stack TCs.

My new favorite macro combination is the Tokina AT-X 35-70/2.8 with Vert,
the converted Vivitar teleconverter, mounted on the OM-2S.  OTF flash works
extremely well with this combo, although I have to underexpose 2/3 when
shooting Fuscia.

My artistic favorite still remains the 100/2.8 on my old set of olympus
non-automatic extension tubes.  The bokah of the 100/2.8 is wonderful.

Hmm, if I would just specialize on macro work I'd never need to go with the
Nikon Wonderblock.  And I could afford to get every piece of exotic Zuiko
glass too!
Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx