Re: [OM] Re:Super FP Flash (as I understand it)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:Super FP Flash (as I understand it)
From: Clyde Soles <csoles@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:25:19 -0700
Charlie I suspect you're being deliberately obtuse (considering you've
never even used one) but since I have a broken leg and can't get out much
I'll play along.

>A F280 is $195. A 22' litedisc is $21.50. If the photographer can't carry a
>reflector
>I guess he must spend $195 for less controlled fill.
>If the camera is on a tripod you can hold the reflector yourself.

A 22" disc is worthless for head and shoulders -- 42" is much better and
will run about $50. They only work well in bright light (unless you get one
with a black side for overcast) and I defy you to compose and expose while
holding a disc. Without an assistant, you'd be better off putting the disc
on a lightstand (another $100)...if the wind isn't blowing.

Of course you still have to spend the $195 for a T-32 if you work in any
other light so you are both spending and carrying more and really not
getting much extra performance.

>Have I figured this wrong? Sunny 16
>Iso 100 f-16 at 125
>less 1.5 stops = 3000
>
>Some one tell me if I figured this wrong.

Since we're being pedantic, yes, you are wrong. It should be f-11-2/3 at
125. Hence 1/2000 is 1-2/3 under. Bottom line, the F280 works quite nicely
with my 90mm for no-hassle, well-exposed, very pleasing portraits. Can I do
better? You bet. But not without a lot more effort. BTW you can vary the
fill by moving flash closer or further from the subject if you have the
cable.

>Monte is one fine example of someone who uses portable fill flash for top
>quality professional portraits.  That was my point.
>I don't know what leaf shutters and format have to do with weather portable
>fill flash is for amateur grab shots only or is a viable tool for
>professional photography.

The shutter and format has a *lot* to do with the effects achievable with
flash. It's a main reason so many portrait and wedding pros shoot MF. Leaf
shutters sync at all speeds (again 1/250 is inadequate) and there's no need
for massive power due to the slower lenses, so potatoe mashers work well.
So you're comparing apples and oranges.

Try it before you diss it but don't bother with an F280 if you only have
slow lenses.

Clydeorama Photo Gallery
http://home.rmi.net/~csoles/index.htm