[OM] Re: Ebay

Subject: [OM] Re: Ebay
From: Joshua_Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 20:11:30 -0800 (PST)
>What I don't understand is given that eBay list all their "offerings"
>all at once, why do the same items go for vastly different prices?
>What would cause someone to bid a high price for one specific item
>while another of the exact same item gets very few bids and gets sold
>at a very low price.

A mix of things: how good is the description?  Vague descriptions
and comments like "It worked a few years ago but I haven't tested
it" send up warning flags that someone may know something they
aren't telling.  Or maybe they just don't know enough to know if
an item is in good shape or not.  If they just say it's an
Olympus lens, but don't explicitly say Zuiko, is it an OM mount
Vivitar?

How good is the picture?  Is a fuzzy picture hiding fine
scratches, or just a bad picture?

Where is it, and what will shipping cost?

How good is the seller's feedback rating -- how many negative
comments are there, and what do they say?

What time does the auction end?  If it ends late at night or on
Saturday evening, most people won't be on-line for a final
bidding frenzy.  If it ends in the middle of a weekday, dozens
of people could be bidding from work in the final minutes.

--

 Josh@xxxxxxxxxxxx  is  Joshua Putnam / P.O. Box 13220 / Burton, WA 98013
                       "My other bike is a car."