[OM] Re: Ebay

Subject: [OM] Re: Ebay
From: Joshua_Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:29:05 -0800 (PST)
"Bov, Frank" <Frank.Bov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Subject: [OM] Do you want ...?
>>
>> LIVE HOT PHONE SEX!

>Is this something you folks put up with regularly? I've been off e-mail
>lists for several years, but I don't remember ever seeing this, it's the
>second time in a week!

Spam on email lists is a growing problem.  I just got on here, so
I don't know how often it hits this list, but it's a constant
problem on other lists I subscribe to.  About the only cure is a
closed list, with email accepted only from the addresses of
verified members.  But that gets to be a pain, too, in case you
have two different email addresses, and send something to the
list from the wrong address.

>> Subject: Re: [OM] Why would someone pay too much for
>> something on eBay? Here's whyI have...

>For eBay, I'm starting with basic research - what's a fair price for used
>items from national dealers - and then lurking for a bargain.

That's a reasonable way to do eBay bidding.  I usually scan the
new Olympus stuff every morning and put in a lowball bid on
anything that might be interesting, then it shows up on my "My
Ebay" page automatically until the auction ends.  That gives me
5-7 days to decide what I'm really willing to pay for it.  That's
one of the reasons you see a flurry of bids towards the end of an
auction -- all the people who thought they might be interested
decide just how interested they really are.  But in general I've
found eBay much better for selling than for buying.

As other people have noted, sometimes eBay shows you some
hard-to-find item that's worth overpaying a bit just to avoid the
hassle of finding who has it in stock.

(Hope this hasn't been beat to death already -- I get so much
email already, I signed up for the digest mode.)

--

 Josh@xxxxxxxxxxxx  is  Joshua Putnam / P.O. Box 13220 / Burton, WA 98013
                       "My other bike is a car."