[OM] Spam, Friends, 4sale and eBay

Subject: [OM] Spam, Friends, 4sale and eBay
From: "Bov, Frank" <Frank.Bov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:40:44 -0600
A couple of thoughts . . .

> Subject: [OM] Do you want ...?
>
> LIVE HOT PHONE SEX!

Is this something you folks put up with regularly? I've been off e-mail
lists for several years, but I don't remember ever seeing this, it's the
second time in a week!

> >I would like to compliment the friendliness of all you Oly members.
> >It's nice to know that you all treat each other as friends without
> >being offensive.  It makes me proud to be amongst you guys/gals.
        and
> Finding this list is akin to running into the love-of-your-life-guy you
were
> pinned to in college and being able to pick it all back up again...except
that
> the OM's still look like they did 25 years ago!!

Ditto! (without myopic Limbaugh dittoheadishness, and maintaining a firm
hold on my heterosexuality)

> Offer it to the list first, at whatever price you want, THEN put it on
> e-bay if you can't sell it. Particularly when it's an
> interesting item like a 38 macro.

Or any gear; you never know when someone with latent Zuikoholism will show
up to get infected. And which one of you can't find a good home for another
OM body or lens? I bought my first OM here and I hope to see it any day now!
(This is a subtle hint to Mike S. to let me know what's up - it's been a
*whole* week! )

> Subject: Re: [OM] Why would someone pay too much for
> something on eBay? Here's whyI have...

OM's also introduced me to eBay. This journey started astronomically, buying
telescopes and eyepieces on Astromart, and noticing that OM-1s were the
camera of choice for many astrophotographers. Since both our P'n'S cameras
were dead, and my wife and I are both RIT photo grads (Illustration and
Photo Sci. - I can't focus to save my life, but just ask me how film
works!), it seemed we ought to get a real camera and learn (or remember in
Marj's case) how to practice photography. eBay has provided a wealth of
opportunities to buy a wide range of gear that I'd never have been exposed
to otherwise, but I still bought the camera from an offer on this list once
eBay calibrated my price meter.

For eBay, I'm starting with basic research - what's a fair price for used
items from national dealers - and then lurking for a bargain. My price
expectations are based on my lurks, and the information garnered from Paul
Farrar's Unofficial Olympus OM Zuiko Lens Page:
http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/zuiko.html
and Lee Hawking's Olympus FAQ
http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.shtml
and I'm not sweating the small stuff - a buck is a buck, but it's not $100.

Based on this data, I'm still loo(ur)king for a 28mm WA and a 75-150 Zoom,
Zuiko, of course (reading the test reports Lee links to was enough to
disabuse me of infidelity) to go with the 50mm f/1.4 on the body. I have
bought a few things (an Oly strap for $5 + 1 s&h, a nice T20 flash for $38 +
4.50 s&h, a 49mm lens cap for $2 + 2.50 s&h, and an eveready case for $18 +
4 s&h.) and I realize you could always do better price wise, but I could
also do worse.

Now, all I need is delivery and I'll find out how I've really done.

Frank