[OM] Camera abuse? I'll show you camera abuse!; 3 vs 4

Subject: [OM] Camera abuse? I'll show you camera abuse!; 3 vs 4
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 05:55:41 -0800
Miranda recently (sort of) "apologized" for abusing her Olympus lenses, because
she actually goes out and _uses_ them! Well, this is nothing to apologize for
(unless one is needlessly abusive); we've all seen pictures of professionals'
SLRs with dented pentaprisms and once-black bodies that are now mostly "brass."

If you want a _real_ camera-abuse story, listen to this one:

In 1973 I worked at Stansbury Camera in Reisterstown Road Plaza (Baltimore). One
day this woman came in with her defective Minox. "The flash doesn't work."

"Show me what you're doing." Now, folks, the following is the _absolute_ truth,
and is not in any way exaggerated.

She held the Minox in one hand and the cube flash in the other, at about
shoulder height and shoulder width (almost 2' apart). She then _slammed_ the
flash unit into the camera.

Well, no wonder it didn't work! I could tell by her demeanor and speech patterns
that this woman was at least slightly schizophrenic, so I said nothing, and took
the camera in for repair. It was still under warranty, and when I called the
importer I told them what had really happened. Unfortunately, they fixed the
camera and flash for free. Fortunately, I never saw her again.

It's amazing that one of our members has been told that the OM-3Ti is "better"
than the OM-4Ti, but it hasn't been made recently, and all of B&H's stock is
"unused but old." No wonder camera salesman have reputations only slightly
better than car salesmen's.

The OM-3Ti is a current-production camera. The 3 has a mechanically timed
shutter and manual exposure control. The 4 is electronically timed and has
automatic exposure control. The 3 will work without batteries at all shutter
speeds, but it costs more. Chacun a son gout.