Re: [OM] Super FP confusion, long

Subject: Re: [OM] Super FP confusion, long
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:22:44 +0100
:If the Super FP has no control for flash fill ratio (as I understand it)
:and it is not designed for flash only exposure ie: shutter speed has little
:or no effect on the exposure,  What the Heck is it used for?
:Am I missing something here?  Does the manual say how to use it, and is it
:correct?

In theory, FP flash technology is superiour for daylight fill-in flash. It
allows you to use the shutter speed in the same natural way as with
available light exposures: short shutter speeds to freeze subject or camera
movement, and long shutter speeds to emphasize subject movement.
With conventional flashes you only have the option to freeze movement and
must accept the fact that the shutter stays open for the rest of the sync
time, giving 'action stripes' with moving subjects or camera movement:
cartoonish effects that look a bit better when the body supports
synchronisation on the 2nd curtain and are better suppressed with shorter
sync times.
The problem we have with FP flash is that we only have the F280. This is an
underpowered amateur flash designed for the amateur camera OM-707 (hence
its -for the 3/4Ti- useless AF assist light). For daylight portrait shots at
1.5-2m it works fine, but don't try anything like distances of 4-5m. using
1/250 and F8 (which are normal daylight parameters).
If only we had a professional FP flash, with GN50 or 60 power, a flash fill
ratio controller, tilt head, secondary flash head, additional computer flash
support for 11 apertures...
Another problem is that FP flash technology is licensed. If it would be
free, no doubt there would be something like a Metz Mecablitz 60 FP-1...

Hans