Re: [OM] Super FP confusion

Subject: Re: [OM] Super FP confusion
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:44:24 EST
In a message dated 3/16/99 10:24:34 PM EST, williams@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Sorry, but (as far as I can tell), Super FP is not automatic. The camera
and
 lenses do not have the mechanisms needed to produce automatic fill.

The Super FP IS automatic with the OM-4T and the OM-77AF. (Refer to Shipman's
book if you don't believe it). While I tend to agree with you that it is
mostly useful for fill-flash, I wouldn't dismiss it as easily as you do.
While you may call it "fill", isn't it only "fill" because it operates at
shutter speeds above the "normal" synch speed? Super FP gives you faster flash
synch, and whether it is purely fill, depends on the scene. And who's to say
that automatic fill flash up to 1/2000  is "bad" or a gimmick? I, for one,
enjoy this automatic fill flash outdoors.
And yes, the OM-4t and OM-77 sense the flash output and will shorten the
exposure (by controlling the shutter speed as needed) DURING the exposure. You
don't need any special camera/lenses mechanisms as you state. (Do you mean
distance information?) Cameras have been doing automatic flash for years
without any distance input.