Re: [OM] Super FP confusion

Subject: Re: [OM] Super FP confusion
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 00:03:30 +0100
:No, the OM-4T(i) DOES provide automatic Super FP flash. It does it by
:controlling the shutter. As the first curtain begins to open the flash
starts
:emitting. The second curtain is released as soon as enough light has been
:metered. The flash continues emitting at the same brightness until the
second
:curtain is fully closed. It's like turning on a photoflood right before you
:take the picture, then using OTC/OTF metering to determine the shutter
speed.
:
:The OM-3Ti, on the other hand, does Super FP in a strictly manual mode (GN
:calculations) because the metering system has no control over the shutter.

That was my impression too. Unfortunately there really isn't much
information available about what the OM-4Ti exactly does with Super FP
flash. The only comprehensive document I've found some time ago is at

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/text-streak.html

and it says "As long as the flash is set on Super FP and the camera on
automatic, the flash is in control of the camera which sets itself to the
exposure time required for proper exposure. ".

Imho the way Super FP flash was implemented on the OM-3Ti is rather
crippled; hopefully the next OM camera ;-) will just ditch Super FP and give
us a 1/250 sync time instead...

Hans