Re: [OM] Homepage

Subject: Re: [OM] Homepage
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:35:37 -0500
At 10:18 AM 3/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>From what I've read, you scan at twice the resolution you want to end up
>with.  When you resize and halve the DPI, pixels are averaged together.
>Distorted pixels are eliminated in this procedure and moire (?) pattern
>(if any) is often eliminated. Resizing is always down from large to
>small.
>These are instructions which came with my Visioneer scanner.  I've
>played around with scanning on these terms and the results have been goo
>dso far.  Thanks for your help.

John, that only applies for pix that will be printed by photo offset, and
relates to the line screen used to create the halftones. For material
printed at a screen of around 150 lpi (magazine quality) you would indeed
scan at 300dpi. This does not apply for the web as the max you can see on
most monitors is 72 dpi.

Regards,
Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com
Panoramic and 360deg Immersive Images at
        www.threehundredsixty.com