RE: [OM] RE: Olympus RD & XA vs Rollei 35 SE & TE

Subject: RE: [OM] RE: Olympus RD & XA vs Rollei 35 SE & TE
From: "Will von Dauster" <vondauster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:14:08 -0700
Hi All,

> I know this w.page and is very good with a lot of information,
> but I search
> for opinions of Rollei 35 users and some test cocerning the three lenses
> (Sonnar 2.8 and Tessar or Triotar 3.5).

I've owned and shot Rollei 35 Tessars and Sonnars, as well as 2 XAs. In my
experience:

1. The XA and Sonnar lenses are the sharpest at all of their apertures. They
are certainly sharp enough for professional use within their limitations.
2. The XA exhibits pronounced light falloff at the corners when opened more
than f8.
3. The Tessars are sharp at f8, considerably less so at f5.6 and f4.
4. I liked the look the XA lens gave me more than either Rollei, but this is
purely subjective. To my eyes, the XA lens has better color saturation.
5. The meter on the XA is remarkably accurate, I use it for slide film
regularly. The rangefinder is also nice to have.
6. I believe the 35s use mercury cells for their meters, this may be a
serious drawback.
7. The XAs have proven to be slightly more robust than my Rolleis.

Hope this helps answer your questions, I would be happy to answer any that I
missed.

Will von Dauster

http://www.fsl.noaa.gov/~vondaust/

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde