Re: [OM] RE: Olympus RD & XA vs Rollei 35 SE & TE

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Olympus RD & XA vs Rollei 35 SE & TE
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 00:02:55 -0000
> I´m searching for some test concerning the lenses of the Rollei 35 (Sonnar
> 2.8 and Tessar 3.5 ) and some opinion concerning these lenses versus two
> lenses that (almost) all we know :  Olympus RD 1.7 and Olympus XA 2.8 .

The only time I used a Rollei 35 - with f3.5 Tessar - its film
transport/shutter interlock mechanism seized after just one exposure. That
one frame was very sharp though.
I've had a 35RC for a couple of decades and it has always performed superbly
and I had a 35RD on approval but which I returned because of a sticky meter
needle (and its lens cap kept falling off!). I didn't think the results were
quite as good as those from the 35RC.
My XA pictures are pretty good except that there's some kind of vague
distortion - I can only describe it as 'image spread' - near the edges.
In my opinion the Rollei 35 has always been overpriced, new and used, for a
camera lacking a rangefinder and of dubious reliability. In this range my
vote goes to the 35RC, though I'd try another 35RD if one comes along, if
only to be able to use my OM filters on it.

Regards,
Keith
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx