RE: [OM] focusing "errors"; IS-30 features

Subject: RE: [OM] focusing "errors"; IS-30 features
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 01:15:22 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Till: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: den 8 mars 1999 15:35
Ämne: [OM] focusing "errors"; IS-30 features

William Sommerwerck wrote:

>Thanks to Per Nordenberg for listing the new features of the IS-30.
Although
>Japanese companies sometimes drop features from their US cameras,
it's usually
>due to patent conflicts. Unless you have to pay royalties, it's
almost always
>cheaper to sell the same camera in every country.

I was thinking of the deletion of super FP flash capability in the US
IS-3, which indeed I think is due to patent problems. It will be
interesting to see if they will make any changes to the US IS-30.

>If the IS-30 has Super FP flash, more-sensitive auto-focus, and
exposure
>compensation, I guess I'll just have to start saving up. And --
hey! -- the
>IS-30 appears to be black and gray -- not champagne gold. Hallelujah!

That's just because they must save something for the year 2000 - the
champagne gold millenium IS-30(0)!      ;-)

The IS-30 seems to be the biggest leap in the IS line for several
years. The steps in development that was taken with IS-10 - IS-10S -
IS-20 looks small in comparison with the features of the IS-30. The
earlier cameras all have drawbacks like weak built-in flashes with no
capability for optional flash, no exposure compensation, a somewhat
slow and insensitive AF (at least in the earlier models) and only one
optional 1.7x teleconverter available. It seems as if all of that have
been improved with the IS-30 (well more or less, though still no G40
capability), and the intelligent variable-power flash system now looks
even more "intelligent" with Auto Color-Balancing and super FP flash.
The flash working range has been improved by a very important 10  0n
wide angle and by an impressive 40  0n tele.
BTW, for ease of focusing in low light there is an  "auxiliary flash
activation" available at distances up to 8m (IS-200: 5m). What is
meant by that? Is the built-in flash used to help the AF system in low
light? With my IS-3000 there is the red AF illuminator that
automatically lights up in low light, but maybe the smaller IS cameras
has a somewhat different method of helping the AF system?

Per Nordenberg