Re: [OM] Focusing problem with new OM4Ti + Zuiko 200/4

Subject: Re: [OM] Focusing problem with new OM4Ti + Zuiko 200/4
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:18:44 +0200
>I purchased OM4Ti + Zuiko 200/4 + 28/2.8. All new from B&H ($$$$!!!). When
>testing camera with focus at infinity (antenna that is at least 3 blocks
>away, with standard split-image screen), I found that antenna comes in focus
>before actual infinity mark on the lens is reached (~1.5 mm before reaching
>infinity mark).
> With 28/2.8 there is also slight difference but it is not as noticeable as
>with 200 mm.
> Is it normal? If not, I'll return body and get another one.
> Thank you.
> Serge.

With a 200mm tele lens, the antenna was probably not enough far away. You
should focus the moon with a tele lens to look if the infinity stop is
correct. For this test it would be the best to use a screen especially made
for tele lenses, but I have forgotten the numbers of those screens. BTW,
many greater tele lenses focuses beyond infinity and even with a 200mm it's
better if it focuses a little bit beyond than a little bit to short at
infinity. But it could also be, that the focus plane at the screen is
different to the focus plane at the film, in this case you will get not
optimally sharp results and the camera must be calibrated.

Matthias Wilke