Re: [OM] Places to raid in Chicago

Subject: Re: [OM] Places to raid in Chicago
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 08:21:08 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 Brice1021@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Paul,
> Raiding camera stores?  Sounds like you've reached stage IV Zuikoholism.  By
> far, the most serious stage.

  Hmmmm. I passed that stage so long ago, I hardly remember.

> Oak Park Camera (Now owned by Helix)
> 1053 Lake St. (heart of downtown Oak Park)
> Oak Park, IL
> A classic old neighborhood camera store. A must visit if you like to search
> through the junk bins.  I haven't been there since Helix took over so it may
> have changed.  They always had a moderate selection of used Oly and some NIB
> accessories.

  AAAAAACK! Oak Park owned by Helix ? That was such a nice store when
I was there 2 years ago. Catch all the Frank Lloyd Wright houses &
Temple in the hood while you're there. The visitors center (across the
street from the store and maybe 1-block to the right as you leave the
store past the theater and Starbuck's) has great info.
 Oak Park Camera had some
OM stuff there...I remember a 45/2.0 (they are pricey) I drooled at for
weeks. For a cool meal, keep going about 4 blocks in the same
direction, where you'll come to the main street of Oak Park. Make a right
and go 2 (maybe 3 ) long blocks (it's after the El overpass) and on
the right is a place called The Grape Leaf. Middle Eastern fare, and worth
it if you have to walk. The big park on your left before you turn onto
that main st. has a drinking water fountain designed by F.L. Wright. Tres
cool.

> And if you have time, you should not pass up a visit to Helix's main store,
> 310 S. Racine in Chicago or Central Camera at 230 S. Walbash.

  Both of these had lots of OM goodies. At Central, they had a thingie
to elevate an OM T-20 to avoid red-eye. Never seen one before or since,
and it's probably still there. Lots of shades & cords, too. Central is
worth the trip just to see what camera stores used to be...
                                   Lime green with envy,
                                       *= Doris Fang =*

Ps. Go to the Art Institute while you're in Chicago, they usually
    have magnificent exhibits (and check out the Museum of Modern
    Art and the many 1st-rate photo-galleries, too. Grab a Reader paper
    right when you arrive.