Re: [OM] Is the non-MD OM-1 considered "rare"?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is the non-MD OM-1 considered "rare"?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:33:18 -0800
>Paul Farrar wrote:

>> Can you tell us the URL of the Web site, please.
>
>http://www.photomall.com/olympus/olympus1.htm
>
>It's called The Olympus Exchange. I would say their prices are
>rather on the high side.

This must be a prime contender for the understatement of the year.
Jeez, $40 for a T-20/T-32 calculator panel ?!  Boy, I feel sooooo
_cheap_ :-) :-)

It looks like Olympus gear may attain Leica prices even _before_
it reaches Leica status.  Now wouldn't that be a hoot?

As to the collectibility of the non-MD OM-1, it's hard to tell
right now.  Conceivably, since the non-MD OM-1 was made for only
a year or two and is now rather scarce, there is the possibility
that it may become sought after -- much like the Nikon F with
serial numbers starting with 64xxxxx.

Since it is not that difficult to find a nice OM-1MD or OM-1N
for daily use and/or backup, IMHO a clean non-MD OM-1 would be
worth preserving. Collectible or not, its value is not likely to
depreciate.  Btw, does anyone know whether the non-MD OM-1's
were ever made in black body?

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA