Re: [OM] Yet Another PMA Show Report

Subject: Re: [OM] Yet Another PMA Show Report
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 12:19:21 -0800
Gary Reese wrote:

>LAS VEGAS, February 20 - Olympus has quite the floor space at the Photo
>Marketing Association 75th Annual International Convention and Trade Show
>here. [snip lots of good stuff]

Well, Gary R. wasn't the only fellow Zuik to attend PMA'99. :-)  I was
there too -- on February 18-19, and here are my impressions.

First -- the executive summary:

"I have seen the future (of photography), and it is DIGITAL !!"

Even more than I had expected, the emphasis was on digital cameras,
digital processing, and digital "everything else".  In fact, the spell
of the "evil bits" was so powerful that even companies like Noritsu, a
major manufacturer of large-scale photo-processing equipment, attempted
to seduce potential buyers with a fully "digital" 1-hr lab, despite the
fact that their machine takes in regular film, spews out paper prints,
and uses chemicals.  I guess Noritsu's true digital power is in their
marketing department: must be populated by robots?! he-he-he. :-)

Next -- here are a few thoughts, and some show highs and lows.

While the overall tone of PMA'99 clearly aimed to create an atmosphere
of excitement towards the imminent arrival of the digital revolution,
the unmistakable smell (stench?) of quiet desperation was in the air,
and one could easily detect a glimpse of sheer horror in most sales
rep's and participants' eyes, as the entire photo industry enters a
1-2 years long period of incredible uncertainty.

First, the digital film, aka eFilm -- actually, removable storage, is
threatening to put Agfa/Fuji/Kodak (AFK) in a very precarious position,
since none of them controls either of the two main competing technologies:
SmartMedia (Fuji, Olympus, Agfa, Ricoh) vs CompactFlash (Kodak, Nikon,
Canon, Minolta, Epson), while in the near future IBM is looming large
with its proprietary "micro hard-disk" technology.  Furthermore, the lack
of industry-wide standards extends far beyond storage, and many of us
who decide to take an early plunge into digi-photo, WILL pay the price.

Second, the current 4-5 dominant camera makers are sure to face very stiff
competition, both from their former partners -- the AFK film makers, as
well as from the other consumer electronics giants who in the past stayed
out of the photography market, e.g. Epson, HP, Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi,
Sharp, etc. These guys are big, play rough, and have VERY deep pockets.

Finally, with picture taking and processing gone digital the main emphasis
shifts in the direction of software: better user interfaces, more custom
functions, many optical effects implemented in software (fisheye, tilt
and shift, perspective correction, flat-field), etc.  Many of today's
photo gear sales rep's and technical staff face the unenviable prospect
of "back to school", or a career change.  This generational change could
be the most serious blow to the photo industry, as an important historical
link between the traditional film photography and the future digital
2-D imaging may be simply impossible to establish. :-(

Oh well, hold on to your seats -- we're in for a bumpy ride!  :-)

Here's a little Obligatory Olympus Content (:-O) :

On the OM front there was nothing new, although the single OM display
case was well stocked (see Gary R.'s report for more details).  A new
Zuiko 350/f2.8 prompted me to ask the sales reps whether this lens was
still available new.  In response, I was handed a copy of the OM system
chart, and the claim was made that _everything_ in this chart was still
available.  When I gently pointed out to the reps that the chart was
dated 05/87(!), all I got were blank stares, and "Jurassic Park -- The
OM'Movie" started playing on the monitors... :-)

The rest of the Olympus mega-booth was preoccupied with peddling their
digital products: the new C-2000Z, D-620L and D-400L digi-cameras, P-300
dedicated printer, and the digi-audio recorders.  IMHO, the C-2000Z is
"much ado about very little".  Yes, it has more pixels, but on a smaller
size CCD than the D-600/620, so the resolution gain is insignificant.
Yes, it adds some manual overrides and AE modes as well as a better UI,
but it's a viewfinder camera -- with all the limitations!  Released just
_months_ after the D-400 and D-620L, it's IMHO more likely to cannibalize
the sales of the former.  (For now, I plan to stick with my D-600L).

With all its push into the digital domain, and with a plethora of very
respectable consumer grade products, Olympus is yet to dazzle the world
with a truly high-end, professional "flagship" digital SLR.  I'm starting
to have my doubts if they ever will, orhave the capability to do so.

This is where Olympus's very thin product "bench" is exposed as its
ultimate weakness.  See, for instance, how skillfully Ca/Mi/Ni utilize
their high-end SLR's, sometimes in collaboration with AFK, to peddle their
digital technology to professionals.  Moreover, Minolta is releasing its
Vectis-based Dimage RD-3000 as the first true consumer grade digital SLR,
with 2.7 megapixels from a dual 0.5 inch CCD (almost same as APS, and
with 2x3 aspect ratio!), and complete with a range of interchangeable
lenses, flashes and accessories -- all ready to go.

I'm affraid, unless Olympus is just about ready to pull a few "rabbits"
out of its digital hat, its future may be far from rosy.  Speaking of
magic and entertainment, I am happy to report that neither Ziegfried nor
Roy were seen anywhere near the LV Convention Center :-).  Sadly, the
unsuspecting PMA'99 attendees were subjected to some equally lame and
cheesy musical numbers.

At the Olympus booth, every several hours on a small stage two pairs of
young and perky dancers jumped and jived (really!) in a poor immitation
of "The GAP khakis" TV commercial, while belting out OLY propaganda.  As
non-violent a person as I am, I felt sorry that my D-600L wasn't loaded
with live ammunition.  This act deserved to be put out of its misery.
Canon demonstrated an only slightly better taste with their periodic
doze of "Riverdance".  At least, they had the good sense to bring in
a couple of live musicians, and the dancers were, mercifully, silent :-)

On the analog front, I was impressed with the new Nikon F-100, which
delivers most of the F-5 features (and a few ergonomic improvements!)
in a VERY attractive package.  Priced at around $1K (street), the F-100
should do very well, both on its own merits as well as against its main
competition (Canon!).  Good for Nikon!  I'm glad they don't plan to lie
down and play dead.  As a devoted Zuik, I must confess that our own
kilobuck alternative -- the OM-4Ti, as good a camera as it is, simply
doesn't measure up to the F-100.

Among the lens makers, Sigma of whom I was rather critical in the past,
seems to have finally gotten it.  Their new EX series (alas, in AF only)
looks very good: sturdy construction, excellent finish, and their optics
were pretty good to begin with.  I've taken notice of the new EX versions
of the 8mm F4 Fisheye, 15mm F2.8 Fisheye, and 14mm F2.8 (rectilinear) --
all without any competition from other independents.  So, is Sigma traded
publicly on the Tokyo stock exchange?

Finally, one couldn't help but notice the very visible presence at PMA'99
of independent photogear manufacturers from mainland China.  Although most
of them displayed binoculars (some surprisingly good!), P&S cameras, and
low end SLR's/accessories, they all seem to have made a HUGE step forward
from the decidedly unglamorous days of the Seagull, Pearl River, and the
Russian Zenit copies.  Unfortunately I can't speak Chinese, otherwise
I would have attempted to plant with a few of these guys the idea of
building an OM body (maybe an OM-1 replica?).

Ok, that's enough.  Sorry for such a long post -- I'm out of control :-).
If anyone read this far (You, lazy bums! Your employer should fire you.),
and has found my remarks off-base/objectionable/nasty/useful?, pls feel
free to comment.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA