[OM] Andreas Feininger; concave front element; loss of manual-focus lens

Subject: [OM] Andreas Feininger; concave front element; loss of manual-focus lenses
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 05:53:45 -0800
EXACTLY at the moment I was reading Richard Schaetzl's posting about Andreas
Feininger's passing, I switched to the Sunday morning news program on NPR, and
they were playing an interview with him!

My best-remembered Feininger photos were his "scientific" photos of animal
skeletons and the like. They were beautiful. I also well-remember a sequence of
shots in one of his books that showed how focal length alters only image size
and not perspective.

"The 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M Aspherical was really bizarre, with its concave front
element."

The Infinity Stylus Zoom 80 Wide DLX ("the little camera with the big name")
also has a concave front element. Has someone discovered a new way of designing
lenses?

It seems that independent lens makers are moving in the direction of supplying
lenses _only_ for AF cameras. This was brought home forcefully when I noticed an
ad for the new Vivitar Series 1 28-210 zoom. It's available only for AF mounts.

This is both disappointing and surprising. You'd think there would be enough
owners of manual-focus cameras to justify producing these lenses in those
mounts. And the extra sales would help amortize development costs and keep the
price down.