RE: [OM] 4T lenses

Subject: RE: [OM] 4T lenses
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:30:17 -0500
Barry,
>From I can gather, there are two possible sources of damage to a 4 or 4T
>caused by a lens, there may be more however.

It seems the most likely source is a Tamron Adaptall 2 lens that has a
designation of "OM" on the camera side of the
mount.  From all that I can gather on this list and have also seen, the Tamron
Adapters that have the designation "OL"
are more recent and OK.  I don't have the "OM" adapters, so I can't tell you
what else to look for.  For some reason, I seem to recall
that Gary Schloss might have more info on this.
Some people have mentioned filling in the screw hole on Tamron "OM" adapters
that are near the little black button.

I have heard that there is a possibility that some older Vivitar lenses may
damage the button, but I've got some pretty old Vivitar lenses
(1975 vintage) and can't see any possibility of damaging the button with them.

I just went through this damage issue and believe me, I've checked all my
lenses for this potential problem.
The little black button being depressed is the means that enables the 4 to be
placed into Spot mode.  If this button is sheared
off, the Spot mode would not work, but normal Automatic mode would still
function.

I also just bought an uglee 4TI.  No paint on back at all, lots gone from top
and bottom plates.  So ugly, I figure no one will
ever steal it.  The fact that I got it for $50 just makes it even better!  But
man, is it ugly!
Brian Huber