Re: [OM] Jewel Box Effect

Subject: Re: [OM] Jewel Box Effect
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:50:49 +0000
At 23:07 16/02/99 +0530, you wrote:
>Any other method (as
>opposed to trial and error) for photographing illuminated structures with
>the dusk sky as a backdrop?
>RK

Not directly relevant, but I'm reminded of something I found in a newsgroup
posting a year or two ago.  The question was how to expose under full
moonlight.  The answer alluded to the well-known "Sunny-f16" rule for full
sunlight, [where one sets f16 and a shutter speed equivalent to 1/ the film
speed (e.g 1/125 for ISO125)] and defined in its place the "Looney-f4
rule".  Set f4, and use a shutter speed equivalent to 1/ the film speed in
*days*.  So for ISO100, you'd use 1/100 of a day, or fifteen minutes :-)

Of course, our OM-2 and OM-4 would get it right on auto... (OM content!)

Richard