Re: [OM] Re: M.15v Battery Pack Replacement - Soldering ??'s

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: M.15v Battery Pack Replacement - Soldering ??'s
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 13:06:24 -0500 (EST)
> 1. I would appreciate some tips on soldering.
> I have made up one stack, but my soldering technique leaves something to be
> desired.
> Here is what I did.
> Tinned 4 corners of each - and + cell.  Pushed cells together and placed a
> small drop of solder on the tip of the soldering iron and touched the "tinned"
> corners for a few seconds.  Great care must be taken to prevent any solder
> from getting into the insulator area, between the + & - plates.  (Been there -
> done that!)

I took a slightly different approach.  Instead of using all 7 cells from
one pack, I only used 6 of them.  To remove one cell, I carefully pulled the
little U shapped bracked from the edge of the last cell.  This can be a tough
thing to do as the backet is spot welded on very well.  I then put that
backet on the top of the other group of 7 cells and soldered the edge of
the bracket.  This ends up giving me a single stack with 13 cells.  The
nice thing about this approach is that you end up soldering on the side
of the cell that doesn't have the insulator.  I also ran into problems
charging thek 14 cell pack, but the 13 cell one seems to be fine.

> I have concerns regarding "heating" up the cells being soldered.  Although, a
> recharge seems? to put the volts back to normal.

Yes, you really need to be careful not to heat the cell up too much.  I use
a damp spong pressed up against the cell to act as a heat sink.

> 2) I have heard there is a product called "Liquid Solder."  A glue or epoxy?
> I have not found any yet, but it is supposed to conduct electricity and seems
> like a good alternative for this connection.  Any knowledge of this product
> and use in this situation?

Never heard of it, but it's generally a bad idea to depend only on solder
to hold a connection if its going to be exposed to any force.  I would
still use some kind of a metal wire within the solder.
                                -mark