Re: [OM] Olympus Flash Cube Accessory?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Flash Cube Accessory?
From: Bob Christopher <bc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:27:02 -0700
I actually have one of these little cube flashers in my collection.
Agfa marketed it as the Agfalux C, a universal hot shoe
mounted cube flasher. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it showed
up with other OEM designations like Olympus, Voigtlander, etc.

For those not familiar with the unit, its base is about the size of a
std flashcube with a hot shoe on the bottom and a flash cube snap in
on the top. Some units, like the Agfalux C, also had a short, coiled
PC cord that plugged into the back of the shoe, the other end to the
cameras socket.

You mount the flashcube onto the flasher, turn it three "clicks", or
three-quarters of a revolution clockwise. Once the flash is made you
press a small button on the side of the base to advance the cube to
the next flash. I've often wondered about the logic of the design
of this unit, since it is actually just as easy to rotate a cube than
to find and press the advance button. All I could ever reason was that it
kept one aware when the cube was exhausted. If you press the button and
the cube doesn't rotate, you've already used up all four flashes - time
to replace the cube.

It is an interesting item, very pocketable and convenient. Too bad cubes
are also becoming collector items or it might even be economical as well.
I've used mine with submini cameras like the Fuji 350 zoom and the
Voigtlander Vitoret 110 EL (for which it looks like it was designed),
as well as on the Olympus half frame Pen cameras, both those with hot
shoe like the EE3 and those with cold shoe like the Pen S.

Cheers,
  Bob
 Bob Christopher                        Littleton, CO USA
                CHRISTOPHER & ASSOCIATES
                         Est 1979
                         Database
         Development - Programming - Deployment
       email                                website
 mailto:bc@xxxxxxxxx                  http://chisp.net/~bc