Re: [OM] Rangefinder versus SLR "F stop" Advantage???

Subject: Re: [OM] Rangefinder versus SLR "F stop" Advantage???
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:30:47 -0800
At 01:20 AM 02/10/1999 EST, Gary Reese wrote:

>There was an extensive test in (I believe) a 1980's era Modern Photography of
>hand holding cameras.  The compared the results of shooting resolution
targets
>hand held at various shutter speeds and on a tripod.  From that day forward I
>have used a tripod where ever and when ever possible.  It took 1/250 with a
>50mm lens to narrow the difference and, if I recall, 1/500th to equal.

Quite right, on an absolute scale.  I saw a similar test in a general
photography tutorial book called "Shoot!" recently.  When they blew up a
picture of some logs, you could see the difference in the patterns of the
wood.  But the blowup was bigger than smelling an 8x10.  Like many other
things in photography, the $64 question is, "how big do you want your
pictures?"

Tripods are great when you have the time and your subject won't alter it's
behavior or disappear because of it.  Substitutes are also handy--window
sills,  picnic tables, parking meters, hiking sticks, tree stumps.  Even
parts of your own body that have been braced against something solid.

I always carry a wonderful little C-clamp with a ball-and-socket head.
It's made of dark brown hard plastic, with a metal screw.  The clamp also
has legs that turn it into a table tripod, and a screw that you can screw
into a tree, and attach the clamp to.  Don't remember the brand name, but
it's made in Germany.
----