[OM] Good Ol' 24mm

Subject: [OM] Good Ol' 24mm
From: kelton <kelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 99 19:44:55 -0800
>Kenneth Sloan wrote:

>Getting back to the question, my current all-time favorite...virtually
>permanently attached to my 3Ti...is the 24 f/2.8.  I consider this to be
>my "normal" lens, and have been known to take portraits with it (this
>pretty much defines "up close and personal").  Small, light, fast enough
>for me, and perfectly matched to my usual "vision".  Highly recommended!
>And, the metal hood (absolutely necessary!) makes an excellent "stand",
>and general protection (my dog once pulled camera, lens, and hood off a
>table onto a hardwood floor - the only casualty was the hood, which
>crumpled nicely.

Sniff . . . I remember this lens. (Boo hoo.) Purchased one new in my
sophomore year of high school (1977). Trucked it all over Europe--useful
for making cathedrals appear huge at the base and tiny at the top. Sold
it and the rest of my OM kit c. 1990 when I thought it was time to move
up to auto-everything cameras. After owning a couple of pricey
do-it-for-yous I discovered I missed the diminutive size and hands-on
approach. Discovered that manual exposure was therapeutic. Discovered I
didn't need a 35mm that could wind as fast as a movie camera. Discovered
I *liked* to focus without help of a servo. Discovered what a fool I'd
been. Now I'm trying to recapture the wisdom of my youth. Replaced the 24
with a 21, but still miss that 24 and the rest of my old kit. Where do
psychologists go when they're depressed?