Re: [OM] 24mm Angle of View

Subject: Re: [OM] 24mm Angle of View
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 20:50:56 +0100
WKato@xxxxxxx wrote:

> If a 24 mm lens has an 84 deg. angle of view, and if you used maximum shift of
> 10mm on the 25/shift, what would be the equivalent rectilinear wide angle to
> take in the same undistorted image?

The 24mm shift has an equivalent angle of view as an 17-18mm lens.
Shifting it for 10mm verticaly (camera horizontal) results in an
(virtual) gain of height of 10/24 ~ 0.4  or 40 0n other words, you have shifted
the frame for nearly the half of is height.

> Would a 14mm or 15mm allow me to to use just the top half of the photo to keep
> rectilinearity and would this allow me to get in more of the building than the
> 24 shift?

Because an 14 or 15mm lens has an wider angle of view your gain (of
virtual height) would bigger, your "gain" in image quality would lower,
because super wide angle lenses tend to be of lousy quality as wider
there angle of view gets and when you try to enlarge an already critical
negative two times more then normal then your image quality will suffer greatly.

I would buy the Zuiko shift instead.

> In other words, would this be a good lens to take on a slot canyon trip?

Guess, thats depends on the canyon and on the intentions of the
photographer. Maybe an small tele lens would enhance the "narrow
feeling" more than an wide angle.

Regards

Richard