[OM] 24mm Angle of View

Subject: [OM] 24mm Angle of View
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 08:24:31 -0800
>From: WKato@xxxxxxx
>
>If a 24 mm lens has an 84 deg. angle of view, and if you used maximum shift of
>10mm on the 25/shift, what would be the equivalent rectilinear wide angle to
>take in the same undistorted image?

The Olympus lens manual says it has essentially the same coverage as a 21mm
lens.

>In other words, would this be a good lens to take on a slot canyon trip?

No, it would be terrible. This lens is for one specific purpose only, and
furthermore, you have to be a licensed architect to legally use it. Other
things it is useless for: trees, waterfalls, tiny, long things (with
extension tubes). In short, it will be totally useless for any long object
EXCEPT a boring building.

So Warren, if you come upon one of these, I'd suggest you notify me
immediately, so I can see it gets in the proper hands! In return, I will
send you a Zuiko 24/2.8 that is a faster lens and more suitable for use by
non-architects.

(Grumble, grumble, grumble -- now there's THREE of us on the list openly
hunting for one of these... :-)

(Seriously: I think it would be terrible for slot canyons, with you having
to worry about getting sand or water in it, or banging it on a rock or
something. :-)

(Really seriously: if you're unsure about plunking down a grand or so for
the 24, perhaps you can pick up a 35mm shift for less than half that amount
to see if it makes your socks go up and down. Then you can sell and trade
up if you like it.)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229