[OM] Re: 24mm angle of view (from olympus-digest V2 #773)

Subject: [OM] Re: 24mm angle of view (from olympus-digest V2 #773)
From: wiliam.wagenaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:46:04 +0100

Warren Kato asked:
-----
>If a 24 mm lens has an 84 deg. angle of view, and if you used maximum shift of
>10mm on the 25/shift, what would be the equivalent rectilinear wide angle to
>take in the same undistorted image?  (This is difficult to ask clearly).
>Would a 14mm or 15mm allow me to to use just the top half of the photo to keep
>rectilinearity and would this allow me to get in more of the building than the
>24 shift?
>
>In other words, would this be a good lens to take on a slot canyon trip?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Warren Kato
-----

Hello Warren,

If I remember correctly the "OM-System lens handbook" states that the circle of
view of the 24mm shift is (about) the same as the circle of view of the zuiko
18mm lens.

I define this as follows:

If you can take the image with the 18mm while holding the camera level, you can
also take the object with the 24mm shift at maximum shift to the right
direction. Of course you will loose at the bottom and ath the sides.

I think that if you take the shift and conbine 4 pictures from the max. shifts
(to the corners) you could join the to form one picture you could also have
taken with one shot and the 18mm.

Hope this helps,
Wiliam Wagenaar