[OM] Deteriorating rubber

Subject: [OM] Deteriorating rubber
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 14:01:27 -0800
>That's right, the rubber rings were
>perforated, slashed, and hanging together like a deteriorated rubber
>band, although the 'diamond points' of the rubber focus ring were still
>sharp from lack of use. I did not buy it. But still, I wonder, is this
>the future for every Zuiko lens? Is it inevitable that the rubber
>focus/zoom rings will deteriorate and fall off all our beloved lenses?

Before this happens consider proper protection for your rubber parts.  I
have spent considerable effort researching rubber protectants.  Never use a
product containing any petroleum distillate.  Virtually all automotive
dressings for tires, rubber, and plastic look good but can actually
accelerate deterioration (even some silicone products). Tires usually get
changed out for new ones before it is obvious that the "dressing" is
contributing to its deterioration.  I have found ONE product with the
correct "story".  It goes by the trade name "303" and claims to protect
against ozone and to act as an anti-UV coating (high SPF sunscreen) for
rubber and plastic.

Of course your mileage may vary.

Patrick