Re: [OM] OM 65/200 close focus vs. OM 50 macro

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 65/200 close focus vs. OM 50 macro
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:39:39 EST
Olaf writes:

<< Apart from the lighter weight, the above mentioned macro lenses of course
have the added advantage of having greater aperture settings, but how about
the resolution etc., is that much better than on the zoom?

If anyone can tell me if these macro lenses are significantly better than just
using the close focus option, or if anyone just wants to share their
experience with these lenses, please let me know... >>

There is abundant evidence in published test reports that close focusing
ability in zooms should just be considered a value added convenience.  By
whatever image measuring standard was used, the results consistently fell way
short of what one can obtain with a lens designed for macro use.  To me, this
is so universal among zooms that it doesn't bear further scrutiny.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV