Re: [OM] Novoflex Follow Focus

Subject: Re: [OM] Novoflex Follow Focus
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:29:44 +0100
I once had also an older model Novoflex, generaly I would agree with Jan
about the properties of this lenses, just want to add some remarks:

Jan Decher wrote:

> Advantages:
> * light weight, quite portable dissasembled

"Relativly" light weight, of course not as light weight as the combo of
an 200mm plus 2x converter. Less optimal for travel photography. I would
suggest an monopod as support.
I should add also, the lens is realy robust, it will still work when
your OM-1 is frozen or starts to cook, it would work submerged if your
camera could stand that.
The "new" version, with two grips, is the best, better handling and an
solid build in extension tube.

> * optically simple and therefore fairly sharp

Optical quality was less an concern for me, because of the neccesity of
high shutter speeds and the low light forces someone to use inferior
grainy high speed films, at least when hand holding it (what the lens is made
for).

> * very fast focussing

I would add extrem fast, if trained enough, for a person with good eyes and
no doubts in focusing (decisive people). Not a lens for people who
focus back and forward again and again.

> Disadvantages:
> * no internal focussing

Not a real problem, you´re able to move the lens faster, from infinity
to close focus, than you can focus opticaly on the object. The problem
are your eyes finding the focus (series 2 screens would be handy) and
the hand-eye coordination.

> * follow focus grip looks like gun (could lead to difficult situations
> abroad; Africa, Asia etc.)

It attracts not only in Africa the attention of bystanders.

> * spring loaded grip focussing takes practice and is not eveyones favorite

Yeah, it will train your hand and arm muscles.

> * Try to get the rare Novoflex/Tamron 2.8/300 follow focus ...

Never seen one in real life, but there was another Novoflex-Tamron
combo, the 60-300mm Tamron zoom with follow focus system.

Regards

Richard