[OM] Novoflex Follow Focus

Subject: [OM] Novoflex Follow Focus
From: Jan Decher <jdecher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:38:39 -0500 (EST)
Cc: olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Someone had a question about Novoflex Follow Focus lenses.  Since I have
owned various versions of these lenses here are my opinions:
Advantages:
* light weight, quite portable dissasembled
* optically simple and therefore fairly sharp
* very fast focussing
* excellent close focussing ability with built-in tube (newer versions)
or bellows (older versions)
* excellent support from Novoflex
* modular construction allows for different lens heads including Leica
heads

Disadvantages:
* low speed of 5.6 (6.3 with Leica head) forces you to use 200 or 400 ASA
film
* no internal focussing
* follow focus grip looks like gun (could lead to difficult situations
abroad; Africa, Asia etc.)
* spring loaded grip focussing takes practice and is not eveyones favorite

Possible Compromise (in light of the recent Tamron 2.8/300 debate):
* Try to get the rare Novoflex/Tamron 2.8/300 follow focus which combines
many of the advantages of both systems.  Unfortunately they were only
built for about two years (ca. 1989-1991) and cost a much as the Zuiko
2.8/350 (if you can find one).

I am expecting more innovation from Novoflex. Check their Website
(www.novoflex.com, I believe).

I like Novoflex products because they are built by real wildlife and macro
enthusiasts who use their own products.  Novoflex can also custom-built
many adapters.  Their automatic bellows and macro heads are superb (OM
version still available).
I will have a shootout between my old Novoflex 5.6/300 and my recently
aquired 4.5/300 Zuiko later this spring and will report results to this
list.
Jan