Re: [OM] quantifying bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] quantifying bokeh
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:10:15 +0000
I like your idea, especially the bit about fake leaves and a cut-out as that is
fairly reproducable.  Try Autumn in Oz ;-)

I had a somewhat different - admittedly fuzzy -  idea related to some geometric
shapes spaced at given distances behind a point of focus target.  The shapes
could
be a triangle, square, hexagon - that sort of thing.

For objectivity I was thinking of image analysis software which would somehow
quantify and measure the extent and nature of the blur.

A nice little project for one of my wife's engineering students who wants to do
something in software rather than hardware? ;-)

Perhaps Mr Biggs might have an idea as to how hard this might be in reality.

Another Idea I had was perhaps we could have an extension to the Unofficial
Olympus
Gallery for photos demonstrating technique and lens characteristics rather than
the
art side of things.  It could have things like - here is a shot with the 300mm
f4.5
with 1.4X Tc - here is the same shot with the Tamron 500mm f8 - that sort of
thing.

There could be images chosen to illustrate the boke of a lens or whatever.

Giles