[OM] hilite/shadow/multispot; 14/3.5; Old Man Coyote

Subject: [OM] hilite/shadow/multispot; 14/3.5; Old Man Coyote
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 07:21:08 -0800
"Do any 4Ti owners really use the multi spot/hilite/shadow function?"

I use the hilite quite often -- it's great for slide film. It's also
handy when a scene has a lot of white in it, such as a white wall.

> Of course, Olympus makes nothing wider than 18mm, and there's a big
> difference between 14mm and 18mm, so if you want something that wide,
> there aren't many choices.

"What about the Zuiko 16mm/3.5? This is a little gem - I could not
afford one, but the the test shots I took with a used one showed
excellent contrast and sharpness."

When I said "nothing wider than 18mm," I was thinking of rectilinear
lenses. The 16/3.5 fisheye is not rectilinear. I have one, and have
taken many pictures with it. It's a good lens. (By the way, when I
bought mine 25 years ago, it cost around $300 -- which seemed rather
pricey then. Olympus lenses were priced comparably to Nikon, and had a
dealer margin of only 35%. Had they been cheaper, or a lower wholesale
price, the OM system might have been even more successful.)

I agree with Herr Castle that Sigma's auto-focus replacement for the
14/3.5 is ridiculous. Autofocus is of little use with wide-angle lenses.
Indeed, this is precisely the sort of lens that you might want to
manually set to its hyperfocal distance (for outdoor shots, at least).

About 25 years ago I made several trips to the Goldstone tracking site.
(By the way, I'm one of those weirdos who loves Barstow.) The folks
there had been feeding table scraps and Gaines Burgers to the coyotes
for years, with absolutely no effect on their behavior -- they were
still scared of humans.

I remember snapping a photo of one sunning himself on the asphalt
driveway, over 100 yards from me. When he heard the soft click of my
OM-1's shutter, he got up and walked away.