Re: [OM] Black specks on Focusing screen

Subject: Re: [OM] Black specks on Focusing screen
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:16:24 +0100
mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx wrote:

> Having used ultrasonic cleaning equipment for a number of years, I can say
> with some authority that I'd be reluctant to try this.  The ultrasonic
> cleaners of the commercial variety (e.g. watch & jewelry cleaning) are
> powerful enough to actually etch the surface of softer metals, such as
> brass.  The cleaner's action would be most focused on the "pointy bits" of
> the screen (such as the split-image & microprism edges), which is precisely
> what you don't want. I haven't tried this on plastic, but I'd want to dunk
> a piece of, say, Plexiglas into the cleaner for awhile (as in ten minutes)
> and see what the results are.
>
> The dime-store variety of cleaners (which are actually just plastic tanks
> with mechanical vibrators) aren't nearly this powerful and so wouldn't
> cause this effect, of course.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mahlon

Ok, caution is required. Somehow I suspected that. Ultrasound
can be very destructive; I've seen small stones being crushed
by ultrasound pulses in water. Cleaning equipment has to work
at much lower levels.

The lenses in light weight glasses are made from some plastic,
so I'd expect an opticians ultrasound cleaner to be safe. Or
are plastic glasses not subjected to ultrasonic cleaning?

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"