[OM] Decimate?

Subject: [OM] Decimate?
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:18:23 -0700
> JPEG works by
>
>       1.  Convert to YUV colourspace
>       2.  decimate the colour resolution to half the luminance
>               resolution
>       3.  consider

I never cease to be amazed at the various uses of decimate.  When something
is completely destroyed, reporters say it was decimated (big words make
them seem important).  Now we "decimate the color resolution to half"?

NOTE:  Decimation was a Roman punishment.  Line up all the men of a village
that was "causing trouble" for the Roman rulers/occupation forces and kill
every tenth one.  See the connection, decimal-tenth, decimate/decimation
destroy one tenth (1/10).

Now, maybe if there is a disaster we'll hope for decimation rather than
more than 100ss.  Go back to what you were doing, this will not be on
the quiz.

Topic 2.  Someone recently was discussing the OM-1 and OM-2 meter
weighting.  No, not that discusion, the serious one!  Can someone with
actual knowledge (not to stifle comment) describe the shape/pattern
whatever of the metering/averaging/whatevering?

TIA,

Patrick