Re: [OM] IS-Series for AF?

Subject: Re: [OM] IS-Series for AF?
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:46:29 -0600
>Anyway, I'm almost ready to buy one, but I'm still worried about the single
>centre AF spot. How do you cope with that when the wedding couple in the
>church, or fashion models on the catwalk are running towards you with speeds
>you didn't imagine before (too fast for AF lock, certainly not with the 300
>mm convertor attached) and they/she/he are not in the centre of 'your'
>picture?

Can you say EOS-1n or F5?  Either camera has speedy AF down to an artform.
I've never really been bothered with the center-only AF sensor though.
It's just a case of knowing your equipment, experience and practice.  As
far as the wedding couple is concerned, I always use two cameras for the
aisle shots:  an OM-2S setup in vertical mode and the IS-3 for the
horizontals.  I have prefocused the OM-2S on a pew and fire when the couple
reaches that point and then I whip the IS-3 up and take the second shot
while backpeddling down the aisle.  The IS-3 nails the focus everytime and
only gives me about a half second delay at the very most.  I use aperture
priority mode (to control flash/ambient ratios).

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx