[OM] multi-coating; speed freak; AF compacts

Subject: [OM] multi-coating; speed freak; AF compacts
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 05:07:37 -0800
> Just received a minty used Zuiko 24/2.8 and wonder if y'all can help me
> [determine] if it's MC or SC. FWIW, it does throw a nice purple-blue
> reflection
> off the front glass.

If the reflection is purple-blue, the lens is probably SC. MC Zuikos
should show _some_ green (ie, their reflections should be "minty," too).

> So Doris, this is the definitive answer - size does NOT matter?

"<blush> Ummmm... that depends on who you're talking about... the Zuiko
24/2.8's do just fine. Ahem."

I freely admit to being a speed freak. From the start I bought only the
f/2 lenses. This turned out to be the right decision. As high-quality
(but slower) zoom lenses became available, I had a good reason to keep
and use the faster fixed-length lenses. For me, size (diameter) _does_
matter.

> I owned an XA, and although it wasn't hard to focus, I would rather have the
> camera focus for me -- especially a camera that's designed for quick, casual
> shooting.

"You haven't actually owned & used an AF compact, then? They're not that
good."

Oh, but I have! YOU obviously haven't owned a Stylus. I've owned the
original, plus the Stylus Zoom (35-70), and now the Little Camera with
the Big Name (Infinity Stylus Zoom 80 Wide DLX).

I've taken over a 1000 photos with these cameras, and the _only_
incorrect focusing occurred on one or two occasions when I was shooting
two people and... well, you know the rest. Their active focus is faster
and more consistent than the passive focus on the IS-10.

If you were talking about image quality, I've never had any complaints
about the occasional 8x12 I've made.

By the way, Pop Photo just gave the Infinity Stylus Zoom 80 Wide DLX
(whew!) a rave review. "There's a word for anyone who buys one --
'smart'." It's hard to get a review like that even with a _big_ bribe.