Re: [OM] funny remarks?

Subject: Re: [OM] funny remarks?
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:43:36 -0500
At 10:52 PM 1/15/99 +0000, you wrote:
>William Sommerwerck wrote:
>
>>I owned an XA, and although it wasn't hard to focus, I would rather have
>>the camera focus for me -- especially a camera that's designed for
>>quick, casual shooting.
>
>you haven't actually owned & used an AF compact, then?  They're not that
good.

That depends on what you're willing to pay. FWIW, I always thought the XA
was a great little pocket camera. I have three :-)

If you're talking about the typical p&s with the f/9 zoom lens, I agree
with you. If you're talking about a high-end pocket camera, it's a
different story. Even some cheaper cameras with fixed focal lengths are
good. The Yashica T4... I bought a pair for my kid to take to summer camp
(one b&w, one color) and they made excellent photos.

A friend of mine who has absoloutely no interest in photography and never
owned a camera, but who just had a kid, was looking at his friends' photos
taken with a variety of idiot cameras. He was able to tell the difference
btw the Olympus, and the ... rest. He bought a Stylus.

I have been carrying a Contax T2 with me everywhere I go, even to the
corner bodega, over the last year, and it takes superb pix, on slide film.
As will Hexars, 35tis, GR1s, etc. etc.

Regards,
Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com
Panoramic and 360deg Immersive Images at
        www.threehundredsixty.com