Re: [OM] a profitable sideline business; JPEG lossiness; 'insult' from P

Subject: Re: [OM] a profitable sideline business; JPEG lossiness; 'insult' from Pop Photo; gray velvet
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 08:29:36 -0800
William Sommerwerck wrote:

> The new Pop Photo came yesterday. It includes a "shoot-out" of the
> 50/1.4 lenses for all the major SLR systems. Guess -- just _guess_ --
> which one _isn't_ included.
>
> I'm tempted to write a nasty letter to Jason Schneider -- "Is this yet
> another nail in the OM coffin?". (It's doubly surprising because Burt
> Keppler, the publisher, is a Zuikophile from way back.) But Jason and I
> aren't on very good terms. Perhaps other people in this group will put
> pen to paper (or finger to keyboard).

I saw the article.  (BTW, The Carl Zeiss T* Planar looks like a clear
winner to me. Even over the 4X more expensive Leica Summilux.) BUT I
didn't expect to see the Zuiko 50/1.4 Why? Because it's been
discontinued. PP did a 50/1.8 test a couple years back and included the
Zuiko.  As I remember, It was near the top in performance.

George