[OM] OM-2n shutter speeds

Subject: [OM] OM-2n shutter speeds
From: JNVS44B@xxxxxxxxxxx (MR THOMAS N CURLEE)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 01:24:13, -0500
I just picked up an OM-2n system so cheap I'm embarrassed to tell the
price (hey, the pawn shop owner should know what his stuff is worth!).
  The T-32 rattled, I fixed that.  The 50/1.8 had oil on the
diaphragm, I got the lens disassembled and back together ok.  The
28/3.5 and the 100-200/5 seem fine.  BUT, the the OM-2 seems to work
somewhat erratically.

It seems to work ok in auto mode but often seems to stay in auto when
set to manual.  Sometimes after the camera sets for awhile the first
shot, or shots, seem to be in the auto mode.  For example, if the
meter switch is set to manual, the shutter speed is set to 1 second,
and the lens cap is left on the shutter may stay open until the lens
cap is removed.  The second shot may work normally.  I may pick up
the camera later and the manual mode won't work at all for a while,
or it may work flawlessly in manual.  I'm using new 357 batteries.

Anyone have any ideas what may be the problem?  Dirty switch contacts,
 broken/intermittent wiring, oil on the magnets (do OM-2n's have this
problem?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom