Re: [OM] OT ÄOMÅ

Subject: Re: [OM] OT ÄOMÅ
From: Mikael von Numers <mnumers@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:06:11 -0800
Gary Schloss wrote:

> Giles Stewart wrote
>
> >Actually, there were 4 subscribers from Finaland with '.fi' as part of
> >their URL as of just before Xmas.

> Pardon my lack of knowledge of the Finnish language, but is "ÄOMÅ"
> (that's {Alt u A} OM {Alt A}, or ASCII: 128 79 77 129) the way OM is
> spelled in FInnish, and if so, how is this pronounced phonetically?
> Inquiring minds want to know...

Hi,
As you might know we have two languages in Finland: finnish and swedish
(minority). My mothertongue, for instance, is swedish, but I speak
finnish as well, of cause. OM is spelled OM in both swedish and finnish.
In finnish OM is pronounced ÅM or ASCII128M, and so differs a bit from
the way it is pronounced in swedish.

regards
Mikael