[OM] Be careful, part II

Subject: [OM] Be careful, part II
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:38:35 -0600
After a number of years of using my OM-1(md) I've decided to take a serious
look at the ergonomics and capabilities of this camera.  Here are some of
my findings:

1.  Meter Switch.  What a lousy idea.  I think that the meter should
operate whenever I hold the camera to my eye.  Why Olympus didn't
incorporate an eye-presence sensor is beyond me.

2. Manual film loading.  What?  Even the instamatic 110 cameras of the day
incorporated drop in film loading.  How stupid and time consuming it is to
thread the film through the slot and make sure that the sprocket holes line
up properly.  And then you even have to close the door yourself.

3. Manual film advance/rewind.  Sure, there is a motor drive socket on the
bottom, but Olympus should have incorporated a built-in motor drive.

4. Chrome body reflects too much light.  The metal body could also conduct
electricity if you touched the camera to a powerline and kill you.
Polycarbonite bodies are far safer.  Besides, the chrome body doesn't brass
and show off that you have actually used the camera.

5. Removable hot shoe.  What a stupid idea.  I think that the hot shoe
should have been fixed (actually it says fix on it) so it always presses
into your forehead and jabs your fingers while rewinding.

6. Mirror lock-up.  If this was such an important feature, all camera
bodies would have it.  Duh!

7. Meter needle sticks into viewfinder.  How are we supposed to compose
pictures with this thing waving around distracting us from our composition.
 Every other camera maker has settled on little dots or arrows telling you
which way to adjust exposure.  Don't you know that blinking dots are a far
better way to tell you that you are 1/2 stop off than a continous movement
meter?

8. Meter is unlighted.  How can you meter the subject if you can't see the
meter?  Or for that matter--the subject?

9. No ISO dial.  The film speed selector is the now defunct ASA dial.
Can't set the film speed anymore.  Besides the ASA dial is 25-1600.  Does
anybody actually shoot 25 speed film anymore?  Of course, the OM-1 doesn't
have auto DX film setting.

10. Body doesn't have DOF preview button.  These are built into the lenses.
 Olympus should have followed Nikon's "standard" and put it in an
impossible to reach position while being able to look through the lens.
Actually, this is a wasted feature anyway because most cameras today don't
even allow DOF preview.  See, the OM-1 is non-standard again.

11. Lens mount shutter speed ring.  Only medium format cameras incorporate
this.  Olympus should have ignored Hassleblad's design and copied Nikon's
top of the camera, impossible to adjust while looking through the
viewfinder and keeping your finger on the shutter-release design.  How stupid.

12. Shutter is too smooth and quiet.  If a smooth and quiet shutter is so
important then why is Canon selling so many EOS-1n cameras?  Obviously the
market doesn't care about damped mirror return or camera shake.

13.  Too small and lightweight.  With the high level of sales of the Nikon
F5 and Canon EOS-1n it is obvious that Olympus missed the mark with the OM-1.

14. Large, bright viewfinder.  Olympus should have copied Canon with a
hidiously small and distant viewfinder.

15. Mechanical shutter.  EVERYBODY has electronic shutters.  Where did
Olympus get off with this one.

16. Lens mount allows one handed operation.  Why would you ever need to
change lenses one handed?  How many other brands allow this?

What a piece of junk.  I can't believe that I have successfully used this
camera for so many years.  If I had known that it would have traveled on
nearly 200 international and domestic trips with me over the years would I
have bought it?  Or that I've been stuck using it because all of my other
camera bodies died in the cold?

Olympus really did a boner with the OM-1.  It is so obsolete to warrent
museum status.  Why should I have to think to use a camera.  Why can't I
just pick it up and snap a picture like I can with the Kodak disposable?  I
even have to load film in it myself!

This is really stupid.  I can't wait to dump this cheeseball piece of crud.
 Too bad I can't return it for a full refund.  Biggest waste of $100 I've
ever had.

Ken (appologies to Frank for taking off on his post) Norton

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx
(217) 224-5004