[OM] Ergonomics of OMs (was... you know what it was...)

Subject: [OM] Ergonomics of OMs (was... you know what it was...)
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 17:30:46 +0100
Dear All

The discussion started by Frank E was interesting for the defences thrown
up by a number of other members, defences which highlighted some of the
positive features of the OM line as a whole and of the OM4 (T(i)) in
particular, in my considered opinion:

1. The lens throat shutter speed control: I think that the majority of us
love this feature, partly for the distinction it lends the camera, but
mainly for its convenience.  A control as important as shutter speed should
be accessible while using the VF.

2. The VF itself of the OM4 is a lovely little piece of ergonomics (IMO).
The direction of the bar movement is logical if you consider the direction
of the lens/shutter controls (as already pointed out), but you can get used
to any direction if necessary.  I can switch easily from my OM1N/2N to the
OM4 because I know what to expect when I pick it up.

3. The VF is as clear and bright as any I have used (except for an AF one
which is not required for focussing anyway).  I do not know how Frank E can
have not like it... but those who use are accustomed to it and like it - of
course we are.

Frank's polemic post served I believe to show us how much we *value* the
points that he did not like.  In that way it was valuable.

Chris