[OM] yet again...

Subject: [OM] yet again...
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 02:18:33 -0800
> We all have the right to speak freely, but we are not "entitled" to
> foolish, shallow, poorly thought-out, or self-serving opinions. If
> people carefully thought through their opinions before expressing them,
> public discourse would be much more agreeable and productive.

But therein lies the rub. Who's to quantify what's foolish, etc? Once
you
establish a committee to decide, well, no more free speech, right?

Wrong. You just don't "get it."

Once people reach the age of 30 or so, they _should_ understand the
difference between opinion and fact -- between what is (hopefully)
objective analysis * and what merely serves their own interests.

I am asking that people understand these distinctions and _think_ about
them before they make comments. I have no trouble doing that, and most
of the people I know -- regardless of their educational background --
can do it.

It is not a question of public censorship, or even self-censorship. It
is a question of using your brain before you open your mouth. YOU are
the person who decides what, in your own thinking, is "foolish, shallow,
poorly thought-out, or self-serving." YOU are the only person who can
root out these errors.

Sorry, but I stand by my original statement -- no one is entitled to an
opinion he or she has not made an honest effort to think through. We
have brains -- let's use them.

* Please don't flame me on this one. Everyone has differing views on
what is "objective." But I would rather argue with someone who _tries_
to be objective, even if he or she sees things from a different
perspective. We don't have to agree on everything to have a productive
discussion.