[OM] Re: Replace Circuits

Subject: [OM] Re: Replace Circuits
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 22:10:14 +0000
If my memory is accurate I believe the IC in question is a custom
chip produced for Olympus by Sharp.  Probably one of those ultra low
profile jokers mounted directly to the flexible circuit and with a
dob of epoxy on top to really make it unfixable.

Someone, I think it was Michael Covington, once speculated that the
problem was internal to the IC in question.  I am a bit hazy here but
I think it was said that a design flaw &or material ageing and
degradation might lead to a transistor failing and allowing a large
current to flow when it shouldn't.

Don't quote me, Im not an engineer and the exact details may be
incorrect but I am certain that the gist is correct.

Giles