Re: [OM] Battery drain & used body testing

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery drain & used body testing
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 14:43:06 +0100
Nyholm Mica wrote:

> Newcomer to this mailing list, so hello everybody.

Welcome to the list.

> I have two OM40 Program bodies (ie. OM-PC) which seem to have quite serious
> battery drain problem. Two LR 44 (Alkaline) "el cheapo" batteries die within
> about 2 weeks whether the camera is used or not.

No wonder, they do the same in an "no-drain" OM-2.

> There was
> also a used OM 4Ti available in similar external condition but it costed
> about $300 more and since I'm not planning to use my camera as a hammer, I
> don't think I got that much use for the Titanium parts. Opinions on that?

Exept for FP flash, there is no practical difference in both camera
bodies.

> but since LR 44 is over three times cheaper I've been using
> them instead.

I get 357 silveroxid cells (made by Renata) for DM5 ~EUR2.5 from Conrad
Electronics.

> The camera manual states that battery life of SR 44 is only
> twice as long as that of LR 44.

Guess the manual is wrong.

> Any real info on that (instead of just
> opinions)?

They last much longer, several months...

> Any knowledge on the quality of different LR 44's? I mean, I
> think some new LR 44's I've used were 20 (twenty) times cheaper than SR 44.

Don´t use them if you don´t want to be more busy changing batteries than
taking photos.

> I've been meaning to sell my other OM 40 body to compensate for the cost of
> the OM 4, but I wouldn't want to pass broken camera to another "victim". Is
> there a way to tell if the camera is really broken or if it's just bad
> choise of batteries?

Use it with silveroxid cells and see whats happend.

> Finally, if the OM 40 body is a real (faulty) battery hog and therefore not
> worth selling,

Most probably, if the camera would consume to much battery energy, there
would be other faults making the camer unreliable.

There is any FAQ dealing extensivly with batteries.

Regards

Richard