Re: [OM] Battery drain & used body testing

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery drain & used body testing
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:21:53 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Nyholm Mica <Mica.Nyholm@xxxxxxxxx>
Till: 'olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: den 8 januari 1999 09:14
Ämne: [OM] Battery drain & used body testing

>Newcomer to this mailing list, so hello everybody.

Hi Mica.
I might be wrong here but maybe you are the first Finnish subscriber
to this list. We have Swedes, Danes and Norwegians here, but I have
wondered where all the Finns are. Maybe they are all occupied with
using their mobile telephones?     :-)
(explanation: Finland is the mobile telephone densiest country
compared with the size of the population)

>Here's two set of
>questions for the knowing.
>
>I have two OM40 Program bodies (ie. OM-PC) which seem to have quite
serious
>battery drain problem. Two LR 44 (Alkaline) "el cheapo" batteries die
within
>about 2 weeks whether the camera is used or not.

NEVER use anything else than silver-oxide batteries of the SR 44 type
(or equivalent). For more info on suitable types of batteries for
different OM bodies look at the Olympus OM SLR FAQ at R. Lee Hawkins
site:   http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.html

>1) THE DRAIN
>
>I've seen mentions about using SR 44 Silver-Oxide batteries instead
of
>'crappy' LR 44, but since LR 44 is over three times cheaper I've been
using
>them instead. The camera manual states that battery life of SR 44 is
only
>twice as long as that of LR 44. Any real info on that (instead of
just
>opinions)? Any knowledge on the quality of different LR 44's? I mean,
>think some new LR 44's I've used were 20 (twenty) times cheaper than
SR 44.

Nowadays there is a cheaper alternative with silver-oxide batteries of
the 357 type. In Sweden they cost from 9 to 14 SKR a piece, and I buy
mine in stores that sell electronic stuff like calculators,
amperemeters and laser pens and such. They are just as good as "real"
SR 44 batteries.

>I've been meaning to sell my other OM 40 body to compensate for the
cost of
>the OM 4, but I wouldn't want to pass broken camera to another
"victim". Is
>there a way to tell if the camera is really broken or if it's just
bad
>choise of batteries? I tried to ammeter the drain but it seems okay
(about
>2,7 mA for a minute while the viewfinder leds are active and then
dropping
>to 0,01x mA (if I measured correctly)). I really wouldn't want to
send the
>camera to a repair shop because the cost of just a repair estimate
would
>take a lion's share of the possible retail price. And since exchange
>circuitry for the camera is no longer available, a faulty circuitry
might
>not even get repaired.

I wouldn´t sell a body without testing it with the right type of
batteries.

>Removing batteries while camera is not used is not the answer, except
when
>the body is not used for a week or longer. Does anyone know which
setting
>would result in minimal battery drain? 'B' shutter setting and
'Manual'? 'B'
>and 'Program'? Or does it really matter? I have normally left my
settings at
>'60' and 'Manual'.

'B' setting prevents the battery drain that occurs when the shutter
release button is accidently depressed like if something is put on top
of the body in a case. Otherwise the battery drain is always there.
For your other questions I'm sure there are many other more
knowledgeable people here that can help you. Good luck with your OM
equipment!

Per Nordenberg
Kolmården, Sweden