[OM] Excessive battery drain

Subject: [OM] Excessive battery drain
From: Mike Bloor <mikbloor@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 12:29:52 GMT
I had constant problems with my OM4 (it lasted about three films on a set of
batteries) until an overhaul by Olympus, London.

Since then it goes for about a year on a set of SR44s (I have never used
lithium batteries).  I believe the circuit fitted was a 4Ti circuit.

In case it helps anyone buying a used OM4 to find what circuit is fitted, I
am including information given to me by Olympus at the time.  This might
alsobe useful for the "What is the difference..." FAQs.

All repairs were returned with an invoice showing the work done.  AFAIK the
text came from a limited set of standard descriptions held on computer, so
it is fair to assume that a sizeable number of repairs came back with these
comments:

==================================

November 1989

We are pleased to advise you that our technicians have fitted a new main
control circuit to your OM4 camera which has rectified the problems you have
been experiencing.  The equipment has undergone rigorous testing to ensure
that it has been returned to full Olympus specification.  Certain additional
features are included in the new circuitry, full details of which are
provided in a letter with the camera.

=================================

The "letter with the camera" said:

In line with continual improvements to Olympus products your camera has been
fitted with a replacement Integrated Circuit Board which offers the
following additional features.

1. Battery check switches off after 30 seconds.
2. Memory clear can now be operated whilst the viewfinder display is in the
off mode.
3. With the camera in the auto mode any non-Olympus flashgun can be fired
from the hotshoe and X synchro socket, for the use of "Fill in Flash"
(shutter speed must be below 1/60th second).
4. With T system flash, viewfinder charge signal will now switch off after
120 seconds.  To reactivate lightly touch the shutter release.
5. On long auto exposures, shutter can be overridden and made to close if
the selector dial is switched to either Manual or Battery Check.
Please note that points 2 and 3 now override the relevant question & answers
sections on pages 35,49 and 50 of Instruction Book B.

Mike Bloor
Seratel Ltd.
Mulrany, Westport,
Co. Mayo, Ireland.