Re: [OM] End of the OM-2 line

Subject: Re: [OM] End of the OM-2 line
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 13:20:53 +0000
At 21:23 06/01/99 EST, you wrote:
>I really can't say enough good things about the OM-PC. Even the ESP metering,
>which I can remember thinking was some kind of a gimmick, has saved a couple
>of shots in difficult lighting situations, such as a strong reflection of the
>sun in a photo. (it totally ignores the bright reflection) We may be advanced
>or professional users who would take these situations into consideration
>during the shooting, but the casual or amateur probably wouldn't recognize
the
>difficult situation. Olympus was right on in their thinking back then, if you
>ask me.
>
>George S.

I've never actually tried an OM-PC (Om-40 here) although at the time I
bought my OM-2SP it was available at more or less the same price.  I
thought long and hard about which to go for (to replace a damaged 2n which
I still miss) but in the end decided on the 2SP because of the spot
metering.  The program mode to me is superfluous and I've never once used
it I don't think, and I was a little suspicious of "the camera with ESP".
There were some other reasons for my choice I'm sure although I don't
remember now.  The OM-40 seems quite a rare beast, I can't remember when I
last saw one.

This business about the 2SP being based on the 4 puzzles me - I have both
and they look completely different to me.  The top plate controls are in
different places, the prism housings are a different shape, the viewfinder
illumination window's in a different place, among other things.  The
shutters sound quite different too.  Just what *do* they have in common?

Richard